Thursday, March 31, 2011

Travels with David: White Sands National Monument

White Sands National Monument – Alamogordo, NM - March 30, 2011
http://www.nps.gov/whsa/
I have been wanting to go visit this great place and finally got my chance. Billed as ‘Like No Place Else on Earth’ and it exceeds the expectations. Sitting in the heart of the Tularosa Basin, huge dunes poke out of gypsum sand; nearly 300 square miles. It is amazing how the minerals from Lake Lucero produce the gypsum sands. These rolling dunes literally roll/move as the sands are so small and light. I am used to the pure white sands of the Gulf Coast but that does not compare to the sands of the White Sands.
The views and overall site of these dunes cannot be described. The colors during the day are fabulous; I thought. Then we took the Sunset Stroll and stayed out on the dunes until complete dark. I just thought it was great during the day, then the sun starting setting. WOW, the colors in the sky and across the sands were absolutely wonderful. God’s paintbrush came out and the sky came alive. I stood there in complete awe of the greatness of my Savior.
Like No Place Else on Earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024