Saturday, March 19, 2011

Dining with David: Morning Call Coffee Stand

Morning Call Coffee Stand – Metairie, LA – March 19, 2011
http://www.morningcallcoffeestand.com/
Well, I finally get to come home today; 5 days in LA! I had to take my business partner to the airport early this morning and decided to find me a good breakfast spot since I had some time before my flight. I heard about this great spot called Morning Call, founded in 1870, that is supposed to have the best beignets and coffee in New Orleans. It is located about 6 miles from the airport. When I pulled up, it just had that look; local, nonchalant, don’t need tourist kind of place; perfect. Located in a little strip mall behind Lakeside Mall, if you didn’t know it was there, you would never find it. There is even an old-time newsstand located right next door.
I got a small order of beignets. These were a little bigger than Café Du Monde and they let you pour your own powdered sugar too. The taste is similar but just a little different; must be cooked at a higher temperature as not as greasy. These were very good. It is a shame I don’t like coffee as it smelled wonderful. Fixed in café au lait method; French dipped brewed and then boiled whole milk is added. The atmosphere just makes this place though. This includes a sitting bar (2 sides) covered in lights; ideal for reading the morning news with coffee and donuts. Great atmosphere, good food. Even better, since they moved from the French Quarter (used to be on Decatur), you can now actually get there and find a place to park (what a concept).
Rating: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024