Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dining with David: Pecan Grill

De La Vega’s Pecan Grill & Brewery – Las Cruces, NM – March 29, 2011
http://www.pecangrill.com/
Well, we had to take our traveling birthday boy out to dinner tonight and decided on a local place right down the road from the hotel. I had seen this place but really didn’t think anything about it. This is a very nice place with more focus on the patio eating than inside tables; smart choice. It was a beautiful night and was wonderful just sitting outside watching the sun set (shame my bride could not have been with me). I ordered something I thought was very healthy, the Chilean Sea Bass. My meal came out last and it was worth it. A very tender, flaky piece of fish pan-seared just right with a special mango salsa on top. This bass had a great taste and perfectly mixed with the mango flavors. It didn’t end there, the perfectly cooked sweet potato was wonderful, dusted with brown sugar. I love sweet potatoes and most restaurants don’t know how to cook; this was just right. I must say this was a very good meal and just the right portion.
Our birthday boy decided to order dessert and we had a combination of chocolate and peanut butter pie, blackberry/raspberry tort and a red velvet cake made with raspberries. I sampled the tort and it was very good, love blackberries, raspberries and several other red berries; nice taste. I did not try the chocolate/peanut butter pie but was told it was great. I also sampled the red velvet cake. My mother would have loved this cake; red velvet is her favorite. This had a twist with the normal cake and cream cheese icing but with a little raspberry mixed in; very different and very good.
Very good meal, good place and good company; Happy Birthday Ben!
Rating: 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024