Monday, March 7, 2011

Dining with David: The Blue Door Pub

The Blue Door Pub – St. Paul, MN – March 7, 2011
http://www.thebdp.com/
Several weeks ago, I was able to try the famous St. Paul special of the Juicy Lucy at the 5-8 Club. Now, on my return trip, I thought I might go across town/river and try the almost as famous Juicy Blucy. From my prior post, the Juicy Lucy is a burger with the cheese cooked inside the patty. So, the Juicy Blucy is similar but with a twist of bleu cheese.  I went to the famous Blue Door; yes, there is actually a blue door.
I ordered the flagship original Blucy which is bleu cheese and garlic stuffed into a half-pound Angus beef patty. I dressed it up with two slices of thick-cut bacon and BBQ sauce with homemade onion rings thrown in. Now, this burger is large, in fact, I had to pull off an onion ring just to eat it; I was also able to make two meals out of this one burger. Unfortunately, I must have had high expectations as it was impressive in looks but only good in taste. The bleu cheese is a nice touch; but that is all you can taste. The bun will not hold the burger, falls apart. The onion ring was basically non-existent and the ‘Angus’ beef was just ok; no real smoky, meaty flavor. Surprisingly, the BBQ sauce was not bad and meshed well with the bleu cheese.
The building has great atmosphere; located in a small strip mall right across from residences in a little sub-division. This place will not hold many and right after we arrived, there was a line out the door; yes, in the 32 degree snow. We even had to park out back by the garbage dump; classy. Great atmosphere, good food. Another great experience.
Rating: 8.75

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024