Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Travels with David: Apache Trail

Apache Trail (AZ Historic Route 88) – Arizona – June 21, 2011
http://www.apachetrail.net/
After working the trade show in the morning and then visiting some customers in Phoenix, I had a few hours free. I decided to head out to the desert and see for myself this famous Apache Trail. Everything I had read talked about the curvy, twisted roads; well, this is very true, not for the weak stomach.
I drove to Apache Junction and then to Goldfield and Lost Dutchman state park. I then entered the Superstition Mountain range and all of its glory. Pulling off and seeing the Weaver’s Needle was something. But topping the hill and seeing Canyon Lake was fantastic. I drove on into Tortilla Flat (where I had a lunch/dinner); small town with population of 6, yes that is six. I then drove down to the Tortilla Trailhead and stopped; this is an unpaved road (for over 20 miles) and the bat-mobile I was driving did not do well on the bumpy roads. I ended up driving about 23 total miles of the trail and then headed back; the trail goes for over 47 miles. This is one impressive place; referred to as the second Grand Canyon.
Now, if I was smart, I would have picked a little cooler day; only got up to 116 today. The air conditioner never stopped running full blast and I keep drinking water the entire time. As they say, just a dry heat; 116 is still a 116 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024