Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dining with David: Superstition Saloon

Superstition Saloon - Tortilla Flat, Arizona – June 21, 2011
http://www.tortillaflataz.com/
As part of my travels through the Apache Trail in the Superstition Wilderness, I stopped off in Tortilla Flat. Now this place is not very large, just several buildings and a total population of 6. After visiting the general store, I decided to catch a late lunch/early dinner at the saloon. They appear to be famous (by someone) for their burgers and killer chili. I decided to skip the chili based on the 116 degree heat but did decide to try their famous burger.
The burger had a thick patty that was marinated in a rich sauce and was very juicy. I topped it with BBQ sauce, ketchup and mustard along with a slice of tomato. It was a very good burger; was it the best I have had, no way. But for this little community, I am sure best in town. Now, they did shine when I substituted the standard fries for homemade chips. These were very large, crunchy chips that tasted great. With the BBQ sauce for dipping, it was just right.
Now this place is decorated quite different with western themed items and signed dollar bills lining the walls. They even have saddles as bar stools, was not comfortable; stuck with a basic table/chair. The strangest part of the experience may have been the drink. This is the only place I know that they don’t ask what you want to drink. You are served a large water with a slice of lime; great choice. I loved it but weird that drinks are not that important; guess with the heat, water is all you need, don’t need the caffeine.
Rating: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024