Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dining with David: Jack's Bar-B-Que

Jack's Bar-B-Que - Nashville, TN - January 26, 2011
www.jacksbarbque.com
In visiting with another customer in Nashville, got to go to the famous Jack's BBQ.  Now this place has won many awards from best local restaurant to best sauce on planet to winner of National BBQ Expo.  My expectations were set high.
Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. Service was lacking right off the bat.  I ordered their famous Texas brisket which is supposed to be smoked with a great taste.  The beef was very fatty with a basic taste; not really smoked, more of cooked in an oven.  I also got the baked beans and apples; also just there; no real meaty BBQ taste in the beans like most joints.  The sauce is supposed to be the thing.  I tried three.  The Kansas City was good; basic ketchup base with a little taste; just good.  The TN Original was vinegar based and really had no other taste than the oil.  The TX Sweet Hot was tomato based too with some kind of oil and not really that good.
I am a sauce person but the meat has to stand on its own first and foremost.  Unfortunately, Jack's delivers on neither.  If you had to choose a BBQ joint in Nashville, I would go with Calhoun's for the overall package and then Nick's Famous.  I could not recommend Jack's.
Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024