Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Travels with David: The Forks

The Forks – Winnipeg, MB – June 13, 2012
www.theforks.com
After leaving the Mint, I decided to head over to a local hotspot for a little dinner.  Turns out, this place is only 3 blocks from my hotel.  They have done a good job in creating a park and shopping area right at the corner/junction of the Assiniboine and Red Rivers.  This place has an open amphitheater along with several converted warehouse/manufacturing buildings into open shopping areas.  Shops range from fresh seafood, meat and cheese to specialty stores and some typical souvenir shops.
The Forks is designed in an artistic way with many paintings, sculptures, and stage areas for performances.  In fact, the short time I was there, noticed three different areas of live play acting and solo singing.  To say it verges on eclectic, would be accurate.  Only several blocks away is the under-construction new Human Rights Museum; seen in top-right photo.
It was nice to just walk around and stretch after a good dinner (Muddy Waters).  Now, in honor of my youngest (Meredith), I just had to go by and get one of her favorites.  I had noticed a little booth with that unique metal deep frying machine just for mini-donuts.  Yes, I said mini-donuts.  I got him to fry up some fresh puppies just for me and then he spins them in brown sugar (unusual but no powdered sugar here).  These were just perfect for dessert and I got to eat them sitting right on the river watching the nice, calm waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024