Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dinning with David: The Original Pancake House

The Original Pancake House – Winnipeg, MB – June 14, 2012
www.originalpancakehouse.ca
On the way to the airport, I stopped off for a late breakfast/early lunch.  I had seen this place at The Forks when I was there last night and thought about eating there but decided to give it a try for mid-morning.  The outside tables were closed due to chance of rain and I sat inside looking out over the waters.
I decided to order their famous Giant Apple Pancake.  Instead of the regular super-duper size, I ordered their ‘baby’ version; just the size of a regular plate.  This thing was huge (even for a baby) with a tart like crust and covered in seasoned/baked apple slices and their special imported Saigon Cinnamon glaze.  Now, once again I am a sauce guy but this thing did not need any syrup.  The taste and texture was fabulous without syrup; the fresh whipped butter might have helped too.
Very unusual to describe but really a giant tart with a buttery crisp crust and sides, lite batter in the middle providing just enough to support the large apple slices and cinnamon.  I topped it off with a side of smoked bacon and I was in hog heaven (no pun intended).  I can only hope their other massive selections of pancakes, waffles and crepes can meet up with this monster.  A must try at The Forks in Winnipeg.
Rating: 9.75

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024