Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Dining with David: Muddy Waters Ribs & Wings

Muddy Waters Ribs & Wings - Winnipeg, MB - June 13, 2012
http://www.wowhospitality.ca/restaurants/muddywaters.html
Located at The Forks, there are several restaurants.  I decided to try something different and went to a BBQ place; yes, I went to a BBQ place in Winnipeg.  Since it doesn’t even think about getting dark till after 2100, I sat outside (under umbrella) for a nice view of the activities around.  Keep in mind that the name just might refer to the nasty, muddy water in the two rivers joined at The Forks.
I jumped on out there and ordered a special, almost hidden item on the menu.  This is their Real Deal meal.  It is comprised of their long ribs (6) that are deep smoked and then before most people pull out and put on grill with sauce, they pull these puppies and deep fry (yes, fried ribs) for under a minute.  They then treat with just sea-salt and pepper with sauce on the side.
Wow, these were one tasty ribs.  I am a sauce guy and I loved their sauce.  But, I really liked just the dry ribs.  The unique taste of the deep smoke flavor (with smoke rings) along with the basic salt/pepper just stood out.  In fact, better than most ribs I have had; better than Rendezvous Ribs in Memphis, TN.
As much as I loved the ribs, I also loved their homemade fries.  These were thick-cut with crunchy on outside with plenty of skin and soft on the inside.  I dipped them in their special BBQ sauce and what a combination.  The sauce is your typical ketchup based (Memphis style) with a little kick.  In fact, the sauce reminded me of Calhoun’s out of Knoxville, TN.
No doubt, this is another place to recommend in Winnipeg.  If I keep finding these, I might start to enjoy Winnipeg (???).
Rating: 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024