Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dining with David: St. Lawrence Market / Carousel Bakery

St. Lawrence Market / Carousel Bakery – Toronto, ON – April 10, 2012
www.stlawrencemarket.com
As I was driving into Toronto, I had time to grab a little lunch.  I had asked ‘where’ is the best local place to eat.  No doubt, told to go to the Lawrence Market and try their famous sandwich.  The St. Lawrence Market is a converted old building with two floors of open markets and local restaurants; very unusual in these days.  It is just several blocks from the lake and right down from the famous CN Tower; the largest tower in the world.
In one of their local candy stores, I picked up a couple dark chocolate covered ginger balls.  This is a gelled ginger root (strong but not overpowering) dunked in a dark, rich chocolate.  Never seen or had this before and it is not bad.  I just had to try for the weird factor.
After walking around, I finally stopped at the famous Carousel Bakery.  This is an open bakery made famous by the likes of Emeril Lagasse and Bobby Flay. They serve a sandwich they call the World Famous Peameal Bacon Sandwich.
This Peameal Bacon Sandwich is served on a fresh, homemade bun.  It contains Peameal Bacon; a pork loin similar to Canadian Bacon but thicker and coated in ground yellow peas (yes, that is tough for me to even type).  I put a little spicy mustard and horse radish (as recommended by the clerk) to top it off.  This was a very different sandwich; I would not say the best ever but very unique.  It had a great taste with the pork and slightly charred from cooking on the grill.  A definite must try whenever in Toronto.
Rating: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024