Monday, July 11, 2011

Dining with David: Charlie Parker's Diner

Charlie Parker’s Diner – Springfield, IL – July 11, 2011
www.charlieparkersdiner.net
As we drove in from St. Louis, MO (isn’t flying great!), we needed to grab a little bit for lunch.  I had seen this place on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives and thought, why not.  We get off the interstate and drive around a back road to what looks like an old metal hangar building.  And oh what our eyes see, but this is the restaurant. 

Now, this place is known for their 16” pancakes (yes, bigger than a pizza) and their horeshoes (pick your meat with cheese sauce, not cheese but cheese sauce, covered in fries; called a shoe).

I didn’t want to overdo so decided to try their regular pancake, a 2 stack flavored with blueberries along with a side of bacon and hash browns.  My travel partner, who loves veggies, got their Vegetable omelette. I just cannot even comment on a veggie omelette; but it must have been good as he ate the whole thing.  I think the best thing he got was their massive wheat toast though.

My pancakes were huge; glad I didn’t try the 16”; these regulars filled the plate.  They were completed coated with blueberries, rather than the normal sprinkle of fruit.  I cannot explain what was in these things but they had a very unusual taste; a bit like whipped eggs, vanilla and something else (?).  I topped it with a little syrup and wow, they were good.  No way I finished these things; left half (well, maybe a ¼ after my travel partner ate some too).  The bacon was good; normal.  The hash browns were dry grilled rather than butter/oil grilled; different but good.

The atmosphere is this place is great.  The food is even better.  I would love to go back and try their sandwiches; they looked great.  This is a must try place.
Rating: 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024