Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dining with David: Pappy's Smokehouse

Pappy’s Smokehouse – St. Louis, MO – April 19, 2011
http://pappyssmokehouse.com/
Well, it has happened! I thought I would never find another place like the famous Pat’s in Salt Lake City, UT or Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, AL, but I did tonight. In the midst of severe storms moving in to downtown St. Louis, we decided to go out and get some food; we did make it down there, eat and get back before the hail hit; tornado warnings were sounding as we pulled into the hotel. This place has been voted one of the top restaurants in St. Louis and one of the 101 Tastiest Places to Chow Down in America by the Travel Channel.
I was torn between their famous ribs or trying their famous pork or brisket. I asked the nice lady behind the counter and she said no doubt, the ribs. I am glad I went with their suggestion. This was a half slab with a great crust on both sides. The best part is the smoke rings of apple and cherry wood in the meat; very good. It seems the dry rub is famous and maintains its secrecy. This rub provides a very unusual taste with a little bite of heat and lots of flavor. I then got to top off the ribs with three different sauces: Original, Sweet Baby Jane or Holly’s Hot. I would have to recommend the Original for its consistent taste. The Hot was very good but more like normal sauces while the Baby Jane was too sweet for my tastes.
If the ribs were not enough, I got to have one of my favorite healthy foods; Sweet potato fries. These are your normal sweet potatoes thinly sliced and then sprinkled with a little seasoning. Wow, when you top with some BBQ sauce, now you are talking.
Nothing but a hole in the wall restaurant with great food and great service. Excellent! If you ever make it to downtown St. Louis, this is a must.
Rating: 9.90

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024