Monday, July 14, 2014

Travels witih David: Wind Cave Trail

Wasatch-Cache National Forest - Logan, UT – July 8, 2014

When you are in the beautiful valley and mountains of Logan, UT, why not go for a hike.  I had a  few hours after a customer visit up in Logan (just north of Salt Lake City) and decided to take advantage of the area and go for a hike.  Luckily, I had brought my hiking boots.  I drive about 15 minutes from the customer into the Cache Forest.  I had seen there was a trail for Wind Caves with beautiful views of the national forest.  On the web site, it listed as a moderate (not easy, not hard) trail.  When I arrive at the base, the sign refers to the trail as ‘difficult’.  Well, I am here, decided to go for it.

I start hiking up a thin semi-rocky trail and realize about ½ mile up, the sign was right.  The trail is about 2 miles one way and climbs nearly 1000 feet.  It is that continual climb at 5-6k feet that make me wonder about my sanity.  The trail is narrow but well-marked.  I decide I must make this happen and no going back.  I stop for many breaks  and sip water along the water (thank goodness for my water bottle). 

Once at the top, the view is beautiful.  The caves are a great site.  Amazing how erosion has worn out the caves overlooking the mountains and the continual breeze.  After sitting in the cool cave for about 15 minutes, I decide to head back down.  It is amazing how much easier going down at a slope as compared to going up.  Once back down at the base, drinking several bottles of water was a must.  Please note, one water bottle was not enough up the slope in the afternoon sun; take a hydration pack.

This was not a hard trail, but not easy either.  If you are ever in the Logan, UT area, this is a beautiful area and a great trail.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024