Monday, July 14, 2014

Travels with David: Canyons Trails

Canyons Resort – Park City, UT – July 10, 2014

The business conference as I was attending was held at the Grand Summit at the Canyons.  Of course, this is a big ski area.  With the absence of snow in the summer, they have done a great job of converting many runs & areas into hiking/biking trails.  When we had a break in the sessions, I decided to go up the mountain and do some hiking.

I rode the Red Pine Gondola up to one of the landings on the mountain.  This is where the restaurant, Red Pine Lodge, is located and around 8k feet up.  Since it was lunchtime, I caught some quick fresh home-made chips to give me some energy and started off.  Since you can hike or bike (biking has become a huge business for them) most of the mountain, there are trails going in every direction.  I started with a short hike up to Alpine Lake.  This was  an easy hike, a little climb but simple enough, to a nice little lake sitting on the side of the mountain.  What a view from up there.

After viewing people fish and paddle-boat, I then took off on the Mid Mountain trail for a few miles.  I ended back up at the Lodge and proceeded to hike their very simple Nature Trail.  Since I had a little more time, I rode the High Meadow ski lift back to Alpine Lake and then hiked back down (much easier than hiking up and down).  After nearly 7 miles hiking, I decided that was enough for me.  I rode the gondola back down to the resort.

It is amazing the trails that are up in the mountains and the effort they have put into cutting the trails and setting bike ramps through-out.  The views back to the valley are wonderful and it is so peaceful hiking around up there.  Guess I found the poor man’s use for the ski slopes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024