Sunday, July 21, 2013

Dining with David: The Whale’s Tale

The Whale’s Tale – White Rock, BC – July 21, 2013

After a long day and getting into my new hotel, I wanted something good and easy for dinner.  It was suggested I head down Marine Drive and hit one of the fish and chips places.  Inside recommendation said there was one that uses a special dry-fry instead of deep-fry; sounds good.
I head about 5 minutes away and realize it was a beach strip; on Pacific coast, inside passage on the Strait of Georgia.  Along stretch of two-lane road with an East & West side shops of food and ice cream, the ocean was just across the road.  Needless to say on Sunday afternoon it was very crowded; I ended up parking a 15 min walk away.
The restaurant is a small, limited table place with two tables outside.  I order and take one of the outside tables to enjoy the view and people watch.  My food comes out after about 10 minutes and I am thrilled.  I ordered their halibut and chips.  The halibut was thinly crusted with very rich, white meat.  The dry-fry did not leave it oily nor greasy; it was an excellent piece of fish.  I am not sure it was the special dry-fry or the fact that the fish is a higher grade cut and fresh; fresh just always tastes much better.  The chips (French fries) were dry-fried with a rich, crusty outside and soft inside.  I squeezed a little bit of lemon on the fish and fries and wow, what a meal. 
I love a good fish and chips but always hated the greasy part.  Now, I have found a place that has fresh, high-grade fish with a healthy touch (yes, even I like good-for-you ever now and then).
Rating: 9.0



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024