Friday, May 4, 2012

Dining with David: Buchanans

Buchanans - Niagara Falls, ON - May 3, 2012
http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/IAGDTDT-DoubleTree-Fallsview-Resort-Spa-by-Hilton-Niagara-Falls-Ontario/index.do
Located in DoubleTree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton.  When I get in to a nice hotel, I am still weary of eating at the restaurant.  Normally I can find better food right down the street.  I got into my hotel, a very nice one at that, and was ready for a little food.  I decided to try the restaurant as nothing but high-priced chain and junk food restaurants around me.  What a pleasant surprise.
I started out with their appetizer special of panko-crusted chicken strips.  These were thin, battered chicken strips with a nice panko crust.  Got a little raspberry chutney to dip in (and I love to dip) and wow, these were excellent.  For only $5, I thought about just ordering another one and stop at that; Nah.
To stay on the healthy side (yes, I did say healthy), I ordered their Grilled Beef Tenderloin Salad.  This was a nice salad with mix greens, carrot slices, blue cheese, grilled tomatoes,  mix peppers, onion straws and nice big tenderloins of beef.  Topped it off with a raspberry vinaigrette and this was a very good meal.  The greens and carrots mixed with the offset of cheese and raspberry gave that special taste that normal salad just does not have.
Since I had been so good, and I was way under budget, I got their dessert special.  This was a flourless chocolate cake (more like a gooey undercooked brownie) topped with a heavy cream sauce along with blueberries and strawberries.  This was one of the better desserts I have had.  I love moist and runny chocolate and this just made the ticket.  The blueberries really set off the chocolate and the heavy cream was so rich; wow!
If you are ever right across the northern border, I would definitely recommend this place.  A great hotel, great view and great restarurant.
Rating: 9.5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024