Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dining with David: City Cafe Bakery

City Café Bakery – Kitchener, Ontario – March 1, 2012
I was looking for something unusual for my last night in Canada.  I had seen this unique place down by the river, converted old gas station, and thought it might be good to try.  I was surprised to find that pizza is a specialty for them.  City Café is one of those pay-as-you-wish business.  Everything is priced to the nearest quarter to make it easy.  There is no cashier, just an old transit fare (metal/glass) box for customers to pay what they want (honour system); quite interesting.
When you walk in the door, nothing but a few tables, glass case for desserts, and plenty of bread baskets filled with home-made bread, etc.  The limited menu is on black-boards hanging from the ceiling.  Most everything is cooked in the huge stone pizza oven located right behind the baskets.
I ordered the regular pepperoni pizza.  The crust was kneaded and formed right in front of me and covered in fresh pepperoni with cheese and home-made sauce.  It was then slide into the massive oven where the fire was popping the fresh crust.    Once I was able to taste it, it was wonderful.  The fresh ingredients make a big difference but nothing like that stone pizza oven.  Very thin crust with slightly burned ends (just crunchy, not burnt).  The pepperoni was thick and fresh and the cheese was a nice offset to the sauce.  I can only imagine the taste of their bread loafs, bagels and donuts.
Rating: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought of the Week: May 5, 2024